Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Busy Month

Regrettably, it has been a little longer between posts than I would like, but that's what engineering at this school will do to you.... Anyway, I have been very busy these past few weeks.

The week following my last post was spent in eager anticipation for my weekend, but I'll get to that in a second. Baseball during the week was a little bittersweet as we took our game on Tuesday against Baruch, winning 13-6, but had quite a bit of difficulty against the College of Staten Island, losing 15-3. Also that week was our first test in Intro to Marine Engineering. Up until that test, I was completely lost and am still almost totally lost but I'm still banking on figuring it all out before the final. Somehow, I managed to get a semi-respectable grade which ended up being among the top in the class, but I'm still puzzled as to how that happened. Finally, the week ended and I was able to leave on my long weekend earned by participating in a blood drive. My friend's parents graciously allowed me to stay with them Friday and Saturday night as I got away for the weekend so I could go see my favorite band, August Burns Red, play in the Nokia Theater just off Times Square. Even though it was a relatively small venue, it was still a lot of fun to see them rock the house, especially in NYC. Though the tickets were a little expensive, it was still well worth it.

Wednesday of the next week marked the first time I was allowed to travel with the baseball team. We took a coach bus to Hackettstown, NJ to take on Centenary College and our former head coach. Unfortunately, we could not overcome an early 8-0 deficit, losing 10-7. That weekend we played Juniata College, getting swept at home, losing a heartbreaker on Sunday 14-12.

The week of the 18th had two weekday games, both away, which I traveled to as well. The first was against SUNY Old Westbury, a short drive away. That game did not start well and stayed that way. The hitting was a little lacking throughout. The next day, against SUNY Maritime, one of our rivals, was a different story. We came out in the top of the first and put up 4 runs, only to give up 5 in the bottom of the inning. We put up several more, as did they, but we were able to hang on for the 13-11 win, our first since playing Baruch two weeks earlier. It felt so good to finally get another win, especially against Maritime.

The weekend games against SUNY Purchase were rained out, which saved us most of a Sunday. Today's game against St. Joseph's College of Long Island was another bright spot in our otherwise dismal season. We gave up 2 runs in the first, but were able to quickly put up 4 to get a lead. They eventually tied it up, though we broke the tie and held on to earn the 8-5 win. This, I believe, is the first time we've had a winning "streak" as all our previous wins had been isolated. Hopefully we can finish up the season on a high note against Susquehanna University.

The time in between baseball games has been filled up with quite a bit of schoolwork. Taking 18.5 credits in a trimester is a difficult task no matter what classes, much less engineering... The nice thing is I only have one class on Fridays, which gives me all morning to catch up on sleep lost the previous week.

I'll try to update this after I return with the baseball team from Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania. I get to miss Command Inspection for that. Boy, am I happy!

Stand by for further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment