Saturday, February 20, 2010

Escape from Jail, or So It Seemed....

I'll get to explaining the title in a little bit, but I have a little bit of catching up to do. When I last posted we had just finished up our second Command Inspection of the year and was anxiously awaiting President's Day Weekend. The Monday after Command was the official beginning of baseball season with the first practice where coaches were allowed. Even though I'm not playing this year due to my shoulder surgery, I still like to go to see how the coaches coach and get to know my teammates better. Usually I'll go hit the weight room and/or the cardio room for a while and then sit in on the defensive drills involving the whole team. Other than that, there's not a whole lot to write about the time between Command and President's Day Weekend. One thing to note was that the whole regiment got a Long Weekend given to us by the Regimental Commander. Even though I was not able to get off campus, it was still pretty nice to relax. That was the first non-Regimental Long Weekend that we had received.

The week before President's Day wasn't anything special because I still can't remember anything notable. Though now I recall that we as plebes in First Company got IT'ed by the Company Executive Officer, our CTO, and our Company Commander because our morale was at an all-time low. Of all the things to do to improve company morale, an IT session is not the top way to do so, nor is it in the top 5, 10, or even 50. Oh well, I think we've been behaving a little better after that incident.

President's Day Weekend finally came and we were all very happy for that. I didn't make it out Friday night as I had to work the basketball games and I was hoping to go out the following morning to Chinatown and Times Square and whatever else we decided to do. Unfortunately, those plans fell through and I spent Friday night and most of Saturday bored out of my mind. I cheered up a little bit when a friend decided to get a few other guys together and go out into the City to grab a bite to eat and catch a movie.

We left campus around 6 and took a cab to the Great Neck train station and made the 6:24 train into the city, arriving just before 7. When we made it over to the subway platform there was a train to Times Square that we just made, though 2 of the other guys did not make it on the train with the other guy and me, so we ended up getting split up from them. Do to a miscommunication, we couldn't catch back up with them. Fortunately, while waiting at the movie theater in Times Square, the guy I was with ended up running into some plebes from Band Company. Since they were wanting to catch a movie after going to Chinatown for dinner, we decided to join them for the rest of the evening. Since it was Chinese New Year's Eve, most of the restaurants were packed, but luckily we were able to find one. The food was really quite good and was a lot of fun eating there with 8 other guys. We barely made it back in time for the start of The Book of Eli at the AMC Empire 25 theater on 42nd Street just off Times Square. It was a really nice theater that lived up to the real estate around it. Since the movie got out a little before 0100, we had to book it to the subway station so that we could make the 0119 train back to Great Neck. We almost didn't make it because one of the guys in our original group (we caught up with them at the theater) had some trouble buying a train ticket. We decided to tell him just to get on the train so that we could make it and hopefully he could just get a free ride because he was in uniform. Unfortunately for him, he had to pay a double fare for buying a ticket on the train, but we didn't have to wait for the 0319 train. It felt so good to finally get away from this place after six weeks of being stuck here with the exception of medical appointments. Even though it was just that one night, getting away made that whole weekend worthwhile. I spent most of the next day working the swim meet with the other baseball guys because I think it was the conference championships. Monday I didn't do a whole lot either.

The rest of the week until this point has been fairly busy since I had tests on Thursday and Friday. Fortunately, both went pretty well I think, so all the studying was well worth it. Today we had a Class C inspection which basically entails cleaning our rooms and our cleaning stations for an hour. Not long after we were secured from the inspection, we received an email from the RTOA telling us to muster in Ackerman Auditorium at 1200. I didn't go, because I went to baseball practice. When I returned at 1500, I was shocked to find out that First Co's liberty had been secured all because of the stupid actions of a few. Oddly, we weren't the only company to have liberty secured by our CTO. Because there was a plebe in possession of a TASER in Second Company, their CTO kept them from going out as well, in addition to IT'ing them and destroying their rooms. Luckily our CTO is a little better than theirs. It hasn't been a whole lot of fun staying in the room all day, but at least it's been fairly relaxing. We have accountability muster in about 50 minutes, so I'll be chilling until then. Stand by for further posts.

Sunday, 21 Feb 2010. 1130

I completely forgot about our snowstorm that took place on the 9th and 10th. We ended up getting around a foot of snow, which canceled classes for Wednesday the 10th. We were granted rack-in all day from the Regimental Training Officer, with the exception of the mandatory snowball fight/snowman building at 1300. It was a lot of fun having many hundreds of people involved in a snowball fight on Academy grounds. One difference between New York and Minnesota I noticed, was that here, school gets cancelled because of the threat of snow, whereas in Minnesota, school isn't cancelled until there's snow on the ground...

Here's some video from when we tackled the RTO and his reaction. (Warning: contains graphic language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HKgSNhNeM

No comments:

Post a Comment