Thursday, September 3, 2009

Let's Not Do That Again...

It's been a few days since I last updated and figure it's high time. Tuesday was pretty uneventful until Army PT rolled around at 1815. The plan was to go for a cross training run: run for a bit, stop and do some exercises like push ups or flutter kicks, and then go run some more, stop again, and on and on. After our second stop we ran for a little bit more and then decided to rest for a minute at the Kings Point Park Sledding Hill before commencing jogging down the hill and sprinting back up. Because I'm a little slower than the others, I started near the back. I was just starting my second lap when I felt a prick on my leg. I figured I had just run too close to a thorn bush or something until I looked down and saw a bunch of yellow jackets around my body. Being fairly normal in not liking to get stung by yellow jackets, I started running faster trying to get back up the hill as quickly as I could. Unfortunately, they followed all of us. Probably because I am a little slower, I took the brunt of the attack as I received seven stings and others received between two and five. I found that getting stung in the back of a nearly bald head is an experience that I would like to do without for the rest of my life. In fact, I wouldn't complain if I didn't get stung again. We had a nice walk/jog back to the campus to let us calm down a bit. It ended up working out fairly well because I was able to eat and then go to CFC without having to rush too much.

Thankfully, Wednesday was not nearly as exciting. Those in my section had a test in our Maritime Studies class, which was probably the biggest event of the day. For Army PT, we lifted in the weight room which prevented us from being stung again. That was a definite plus. The evening finished with study hall, then CTO time at 2205.

Today wasn't all that eventful either. We started off the morning with an inspection of our khakis by Capt. Kim, Gunnery Sergeant Saulsberry, and the Commandant of Midshipmen wish assistance from the Midshipman Officers: Regimental Commander, Regimental Executive Officer, First Battalion Commander, and First Battalion Executive Officer. I didn't really do a whole lot of uniform prepping last night aside from shining my shoes, but the RC told me I looked "very good". Unfortunately, a couple others could not say the same as they failed the inspection. School was not all that bad with the exception of Physics, where the teacher kept us for all of the allotted two hours since we did not have a lab period this week. Two hours with that teacher is not a productive use of time. My physics teacher from a previous school could've covered the same amount of material in maybe 30-45 minutes. Oh well, I think I got a nice 10 minute or so nap without getting caught. At lunch our CTO told us that we were allowed rack-in (naptime) from after lunch until 1800. I took very good advantage of that as I napped for about three hours. Boy, did that feel good after I woke up. After an okay dinner we had CTO time, then I've been working on homework ever since.

Tomorrow will not have a very good start. I know this already. Because the upperclassmen do not want to have Acceptance Day parade practice after lunch, we are having it at 0500 on the football/soccer field, which will allow them to leave for their long weekend whenever their last class finishes. I'm not totally thrilled at waking up at 0415, but when I'm in their position, I'll likely feel the same way. Off to a shower and then bed. Stand by for further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment