Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Well That Wasn't Too Surprising

Sunday was a pretty good day. I woke up, went to church, got back around 1245 and chilled in my room until baseball. Pair church with some good food during the Bible Class, and one has a near unbeatable combination. Baseball was pretty fun because we scrimmaged ourselves. My first at-bat I had to face a 6'10" righty who throws harder any pitcher I've faced. I think he threw me an off-speed pitch, because I was able to lift it to right field for an easy pop-up. My next at-bat was against the best lefty I've ever faced. Now, at first glance, that doesn't mean a whole lot because I haven't faced many good lefties in my life, however, he had some of the sickest breaking pitches that I've seen in the box. I had two strikes on me and he threw a curveball that just nicked the outside corner to send me back to the dugout. I am 100% certain that I had no chance of hitting that pitch. I'm still in amazement of it.

After I finished my second at-bat, I started warming up so that I could go in to pitch. When I finally got to go in, my first hitter was a senior who can put a charge into the ball. I hung a changeup to him, but thankfully he hit a harmless fly ball to the right fielder. I struck out the next two batters without too much trouble. My next inning of work did not go so well. I gave up a leadoff hit before facing one of my company mates. I left a fastball out over the plate for him, and he ripped it to right-center for an easy triple. Oh well, I had fun getting on the mound and throwing to some hitters.

After practice I headed over to Land Hall to have dinner with my sponsor. She brought my fellow sponsor kids and me Subway, which was a happy change from the typical Delano fare. We spent about an hour talking and eating, which was a great way to end a fun afternoon.

Once 1900 rolled around, we were all ready for that night's PKT. We have been working on PKT #2 for a while now and it was time that we buckled down and passed it. It ended up being very easy because I think the seniors wanted us to pass as well. We found out at lunch the next day that we had passed it and had moved on to PKT 3 for next week. Unfortunately, because some kids from 4th Co. thought it was okay to watch a movie and chew tobacco while doing it, we as Plebes got our newfound music privileges revoked. Guess I was right...

Once we returned from Ackerman, where we had taken the PKT, our CTO informed us that we were going to be having a "Health and Welfare Inspection" for contraband food items. This was not unexpected, as CTO had warned us that failure to keep our rooms clean would have consequences. We had to do a set of 20 pushups for each room that got tossed on Main Deck and 2nd Deck. Once CTO had finished with 2nd Deck, we were at a total of 140 when we moved up to Flight Deck. He had just started inspecting rooms when a fellow Plebe started feeling sick and I think passed out on the floor. That put a damper on the inspection and allowed us to return to our rooms. It proved to be good timing since Sunday Night Football was about to start, so a friend and I went back to Land Hall to watch it. Watching football for the first time in a long while was an excellent experience.

Monday was nothing special. I had two classes before lunch and then was done until Dean's Hour. Because we did so well on the PKT as a company (101.8%), CTO gave us rack-in for Monday and Tuesday. I took advantage of that Monday afternoon before Dean's Hour. I also received my Army Combat Uniform (ACU) that I had ordered off eBay for use in Army Ops. I was very excited to say the least. Baseball practice, CFC, and study hall followed Dean's Hour to end the day.

I think I will cover today in my next post as my watch is just about to end. Stand by for further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment