Friday, August 28, 2009

Finally, the Weekend has Arrived!

I normally both enjoy and dread the weekends because I don't have anything to do, but I don't have anything to do. That problem has finally been solved this weekend. I get to leave campus for the first time for the "Plebe Retreat". The Plebe Retreat is a getaway for kids that attend Chapel services or Chapel-related clubs. We're going to Camp DeWolfe located a little ways up the North Shore of Long Island. It will definitely be nice to get away from the Regiment and all that's associated with it.

Tonight was another excellent example of why not to waste CTO's time by taking forever to change. At CTO time CTO Clifford required us to change from gym clothes to khakis for a uniform inspection. Luckily for me I came right as he was giving the command to change and I was already in khakis so I really didn't have to do too much to get ready. It was a not so fun 30 minutes standing at the position of attention waiting to be inspected. When CTO finally got to me, he found a few loose threads, plus told me to go shine my belt buckle. I went up to my room to quickly fix what was wrong and then headed downstairs again. It was another 45 minutes of waiting for re-inspection only to culminate with him telling me that I still had some loose threads. At least he said I didn't have to come down again.

The past few days haven't been all that exciting. Yesterday for Army Ops PT we got to run about a mile and a half in the steel-toed work boots we were issued to simulate running in boots. I can easily say that I'm in pretty good shape. I ran a 10:17 on the 1.5 mile test and ran a 14:19 2 mile on the Army physical fitness assessment. It was a rude awakening running with those bricks called boots on my feet. I started sucking wind pretty quickly and dropped to the back of the back soon after. I was amazed that I was able to finish because I was struggling quite a bit at the end. Luckily I had a wonderful motivator in the form of a fellow Plebe Candidate from Minnesota. He's the reason I was able to finish it out.

I would try to detail Wednesday, but I can barely remember yesterday, so I'm not sure it's even worth trying. I can remember Army Ops. We went to the weight room and lifted for a while finishing with 82 four-count flutter kicks (i.e. 1-2-3-1, 1-2-3-2, 1-2-3-3, etc) and 101 four-count bicycle crunches. My goal for the end of the year is to be able to do those without stopping.

As the balls approach (0000 aka zero hundred aka midnight), I feel it might be time to finally hit the rack as I haven't made it to bed before balls since...well, I don't remember when. I just know I haven't had 6 hours of sleep in a night for quite a while. Hopefully I will be able to get another post up Sunday afternoon or night detailing my weekend.

On a final note, we were notified Thursday at lunch that PKT #1 is complete. Only 9 more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment