Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Long Days, but Good Days

As I'm sitting here at my computer just after 2345, (11:45 PM Eastern Time for all you civilians out there), I'm realizing that I am doing just what I want to do, and I'm content with it.

There is nothing glamorous about the life here. The food isn't the greatest, the days are often very mundane, you're surrounded by people that have quickly forgotten why there here, the teachers aren't all that good at teaching, the rules for Plebe Candidates are near ridiculous, and the amount of sleep we get on weekdays is, on average, 5 hours a night or less. Even realizing all of those downsides, along with the ease of discouragement, it isn't all that bad here.

First of all, it's nearly free to come here, I get all the food I can eat, the opportunities upon graduation are nearly beyond compare, plus I get to travel the world for nearly a year's time, and I'm living only miles away from one of the most recognizable cities in the world.

At this point, I've been up since about 0425 because I wanted to join the Army Operations Program here and they suggested that I take a personal fitness test with them at 0500. After finishing that at 0615, I had a day packed full of classes, meals, study halls, and other regimental activities. I'm really tired right now and sleeping until my body tells me it wants to wake up sounds fantastic, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here to serve my country and that's what I'm doing.

Interestingly enough, the United States Merchant Marine Academy has been ranked as the institution of higher learning with the #1 Most Unhappy Students. Believe me, it clearly shows. However, when considering the upsides of this place, people have no reason to complain like they do. It all boils down to a matter of perspective. Luckily, I think I've figured this out early...

No comments:

Post a Comment